Illinois Prison Talk
News: wc75-1  ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWN STATUS:

SHAWNEE ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.
DIXON ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.
ILLINOIS RIVER ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.
MENARD IS ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 06:48:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recognizing Gangs and Their Activities  (Read 11506 times)
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« on: January 23, 2008, 11:59:48 AM »

This subject has been brought up from time to time and maybe some background information should be posted for parents to use to watch their children for gang involvement.  Gangs are the the IDOC's worst nightmare inside.  So many of the lockdowns and shakedowns are a result of gang acitivity.  I've found a few good websites that explain many of their symbols, customs, graffiti, colors, etc.

The Vice Lord Nation was the first recognized gang, emerging from the St. Charles Boys Reformatory in the 1950's:  http://cryptome.org/gangs/vice.pdf

Another site shows the graffiti and symbols for the most popular gangs within the IDOC:  http://www.gwcinc.com/gangtags2.htm

Are your kids wearing only certain colors?  Wearing their hats c**ked to one side?  This site explains the clothing choices of various gangs:  http://www.nationalconcernedofficers.com/gang_signs_&_symbols.htm

Gang activity and separating rival gangs has been a focus of the DOC and they put pressure on inmates to renounce their affiliations. 

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
Schrader42
Support Staff

"Happiness is being married to your best friend."

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 08:01:32 PM »

Dazzler great topic and an important one for moms to read.  I know facilities usually keep the rival gangs separated but how do parents know or even suspect that their child is getting involved with the wrong crowd.  I think parents need to get more involved with their children and keep them busy with all sorts of activities.  The links you posted are a great source for information and I do hope many will read them.  I did notice the Vice Lord Nation emblem that RSandelli had as an avatar.  I believe she may have copied it from the site to make the complete avatar.  Quite disturbing!  Any comments from the ladies on board?  Please share your stories, comments or ideas.
Dazzler
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 08:11:13 PM »

Well actually I did find that complete avatar on another Vice Lord forum board.  Someone asked a member to design it for them using jnasty's name, the Vice Lord Nation symbols and a Gangster.  It was interesting to find out what the numbers mean...22, 12, 14...those are the numbers assigned to the alphabet...LOL...very original...LOL...22 is V, 12 is L and 14 is N.  VLN.  Duh....That avatar has since been removed from that forum?????????????  I found it the same night it was posted here. 

I found the one website very interesting that explained the colors of clothing, the sideways hats and bandanas, etc.  When J was in CCJ I was able to bring him towels and shoes.  The towels could not be blue, red, yellow, black, etc.  I think I chose a nice peach color for him....nongang color...LOL  Also shoes cannot have any color on them. 

There's plenty of information for parents, teachers, and others to watch for on these sites.  Very informative. 

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ Mahatma Gandhi
mamacita1
Support Staff

Hope Springs Eternal

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:32:15 PM »

School officials are not allowed to tell parents that their child is a gang member.  They can only tell them that they are displaying signs of affiliation.  So, even if the teacher(s) had their suspcion(s), we are highly encouraged to say nothing. 

As for parents, many are good parents who try their best...but are in denial that their child may be living a double life. 

For example, a teacher in our district was stabbed by a 16 year old last week.  He had never been in trouble before and maintained good grades, being actively involved in the chess club.  Did he snap (what I was first inclined to believe), or was this an order he was following as he was being inducted into a gang?  We just don't know.

Kids are pressured in school to join gangs.  They want to be accepted and popular, and many "good" kids go astray.  The lure is gentle at first, and before they know it, they are being issued orders to do things in order to maintain their status.  The power of peer pressure is much stronger than the power of parents in teenagers....we all know that.  For this reason, I am hesitant to blame parents.  Ultimately, a child must learn to make good decisions that align with their upbringing...if they don't, how can education make the difference? 

mamacita

gettingby

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 09:57:41 PM »

The history channel has been running a series called Gangland.  I've watched most of them, each week they cover a different gang.  I never realized that gangs are so prevalent all over every city. The series is quite good, now, how accurate it is, I'm not really sure, but it sure did open my eyes to an entirely different world going on all around us.

Don't repay kindness, pass it on.
Schrader42
Support Staff

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 10:14:50 PM »

Mamacita, was the teacher that was stabbed in your district the one that lost her eye?  There was a terrible story about an Elgin or Aurora teacher that lost her eye when a student stabbed her several times. 

Schools have a problem with gangs and just this past weekend, both Proviso East and West were involved in a big brawl after a game.  It was gang related.
loretjord7

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 10:21:16 PM »

These site are good site to research and get information on gang styles and life. I have worked in a day care setting and a three year old was doing a gang sign. I spoke to him about it and said if I Saw him do it again I was going to inform his parents. There was also one child that was doing a gang sign and I did inform his grandmother. The grandmother got on him right away and I never saw him do it again. These two children in question are children of young parents that probably think it is cute, but it is not. It is sad. Also they say you are never to old to learn, I would not have ever related numbers to a gang sign.

I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.
mamacita1
Support Staff

Hope Springs Eternal

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:28:59 PM »

Yes. the teacher taught at Elgin High School.  This was the first time such an incident occurred with this magnitude. We are all in shock, but we all are aware that violence has occurred against teachers by students and parents....just never like this before.

If I may share...I think the Insurance Actuaries must know something most of us didn't know.  Do you know that if a teacher wants to take out disability mortgage insurance, their rates are right up there with policemen and firefighters? 

Anyway, back to the "gang" situation....even if parents have a peripheral suspicion that their child MIGHT be involved in gangs...they do not know how to stop their child from continued involvement.  Frankly, by the time a parent finally accepts their reality.....the child is too far gone within the gang...or is already in prison.

mamacita

Schrader42
Support Staff

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 08:55:26 AM »

Mamacita, I did hear the story about the stabbing on my way to work the other morning and just couldn't comprehend the violence in our schools today.  We had gangs when I was growing up but never did I hear of a school teacher being attacked.  The gangs always took it outside or in the hallways.  The problem is parents don't keep a close eye on them and don't get themselves involved with their activities.  I raised 2 sons on my own and I was fortunate to see them grow up in a peaceful environment. 
Esmom

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 10:03:30 AM »

has anyone heard that the prisons are putting gang members in cells with non gang members. My son is very worried about this at menard.
loretjord7

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 10:08:47 AM »

I raised four boys and you are so right.  As a young mother I was nieve as to what was going on around my children. I stressed about not being involved in gangs only because of what I saw in my life that was gang related. I had one son that had gotten shot at 16 and he nearly died. They said he was not going to make it. But the Lord said different. After that He got out of the gangs, went back to school, working on his masters, has his own business and doing fairly well. But that is just one success story there are so many that do not do as well like the son that the mother wrote a poem about that mamacita posted

I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand. Maybe that is my problem.
SMD

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 03:54:31 PM »

This was very interesting reading comming from a small town we don't see much of it.. Yes, it is around but I often wondered why hats was turned different and ect...  Is it ok if I copy the links to send to my daughter she has teen sons..
                                                     SMD
Dazzler
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 04:01:03 PM »

Absolutely....I think it's good information for mothers of teens everywhere to know the signs of gang afilliation and watch their kids....

~ Mahatma Gandhi
Schrader42
Support Staff

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 04:16:36 PM »

has anyone heard that the prisons are putting gang members in cells with non gang members. My son is very worried about this at menard.

Not sure about this one but they probably do it to keep peace between rival gang members?
loretjord7

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 08:25:18 AM »

I have not heard any thing like that as of today.

Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 08:50:51 AM »

A story just posted today about the student that stabbed the teacher, but no motive, gang affiliation mentioned yet.

Accused teacher attacker could be charged as adult

January 25, 2008
By ERIN CALANDRIELLO Staff Writer

ELGIN -- A 16-year-old Elgin High School student accused of stabbing a teacher last week at the school still may be charged as an adult.

The student, whom sources have identified as sophomore Angel Facio of Elgin, appeared at a hearing Tuesday in Cook County Juvenile Court in Chicago to face charges of attempted first-degree murder, four counts of aggravated battery, and unlawful use of a weapon.

Sources have said charging Facio as an adult still is under consideration. A spokeswoman for the Cook County State's Attorney's Office would not confirm that Thursday afternoon but said "it may come out later."

Facio, 16, is accused of entering Gilbert's classroom at 11:15 a.m. that day, shortly after the early dismissal of students after semester finals. Witnesses said he initially engaged her in small talk, and then threw a coat over her and stabbed the teacher with a steak knife four times in the back of her neck and once near her eye.

Gilbert lost vision in her right eye from the attack, according to district officials.

Steve Beckett, a professor and director of trial advocacy at the College of Law at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, said the seriousness of the crimes makes it more likely the state eventually will charge him as an adult, which could add decades to his prison time if he is convicted.

"There are offenses that are so serious, they really don't meet the criteria to protect children and get them through rough times in their lives," said Beckett. "It sounds like it could happen in this case."

To be charged as an adult with a crime, a juvenile must be at least 15 years old, and the offense must be "very serious," according to Beckett. He said attempted murder would fit into that category. The decision to charge a juvenile as an adult remains at the discretion of the state's attorney handling the case, Beckett said.

If Facio is found delinquent as a juvenile, he could be incarcerated in a juvenile facility until age 21 and then released, said Beckett, who added that juvenile records usually remain sealed.

But "if he's charged as an adult," he said, he could face anywhere from 20 to 60 years in prison. If this were to happen, Beckett said, he would be incarcerated in a juvenile facility until age 21 and then would be transferred to an adult prison.

Facio has been ordered held in juvenile officials' custody pending a hearing Tuesday in the Rolling Meadows branch of Cook County Circuit Court.   

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
loretjord7

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 09:06:34 AM »

So sad for both parties, the teacher and the young boy who may have thrown is life away and for what?.

mamacita1
Support Staff

Hope Springs Eternal

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 05:50:04 PM »

So true..

Seeing things from a different perspective, my heart goes out to the boy and his family as well as the teacher and her family.  I have heard that when she recuperates, she will return to work....that is one brave and determined lady.

Imagine how that boy's family is dealing with this.....

mamacita

Katzmeow999

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 05:53:58 PM »

Dazzler great topic and an important one for moms to read.  I know facilities usually keep the rival gangs separated but how do parents know or even suspect that their child is getting involved with the wrong crowd.  I think parents need to get more involved with their children and keep them busy with all sorts of activities.  The links you posted are a great source for information and I do hope many will read them.  I did notice the Vice Lord Nation emblem that RSandelli had as an avatar.  I believe she may have copied it from the site to make the complete avatar.  Quite disturbing!  Any comments from the ladies on board?  Please share your stories, comments or ideas.

I never noticed her avatar. Didn't know the chick, can't remember if I ever talked to her. Even if I did see it...I'm sorry but I wouldn't recognize it. I never did the gang thing, I don't even know what's over here in the area I live in. Sorry, but I'm a complete geek when it comes to these types of things. But I'm glad this thread was started as I have 3 boys and live in Englewood of all places.
Amarie

Kindness in words creates confidence

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 06:46:08 PM »

Browncutie,

Englewood huh. well you must walk through your neigborhood with a blindfold on. I am not trying to be funny but I was born and raised in Englewood and even the most geekiest person would know what Gang is in that area. It is on every other building spray painted no less.

I wasn't into gangs but most of the boys I grew up with was and all you had to do was walk through the block in the summer or sit on your porch and you would know what gangs are in the area.  You can walk to the grocery store and hear what gang is in the area because before you make it to the store the gang has been mentioned like 5 times.

I was determined to stay away from that mess as I didn't want that life so I went to school tried to sat focus and get out the area as soon as I could. With the help of some people I did just that but I remember where I came from. I am not ashamed of it and I was always aware of my surroundings. lAs a matter of fact most of the boys I grew up with are one of two places. Yup, you guess it in jail or dead. Looking on IDOC is like having a reunion sometimes. 

Gangs do not just target Boys but Girls as well. I have teenagers and even though we are in the suburbs (were things are SUPPOSE to be better) I am very conscious of their lives, activities and friends. I am all up in their business because it is my business to know what is going on with them. One of my girlfriends said you are too involved in their personal lives. I said what personal lives until they are on their own and are productive citizens of society then what they do is my business.

Also, no matter what neighborhood you are in I believe as a parent it is our duty to know what is going on in the area. Gangs or anything else if you don't know what gangs are in the area how can any of the signs posted help you in detecting if your Sons or Daughters are involved.

"Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what is still possible for you to do."
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: