Illinois Prison Talk
News: wc75-1  ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWN STATUS:

MENARD ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING. 
STATEVILLE ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2014, 10:32:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COOK COUNTY JAIL (Including Inmate Locator)  (Read 112614 times)
Forevermah
Administrator

« on: March 10, 2006, 07:16:11 PM »

Click on the link below to check on inmate status, visiting hours for all  11 divisions and much more:

http://www.cookcountysheriff.com/

D.O.C. Information

2700 South California Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60608
Contact us:
(773) 869-5245 (automated help line)
(773) 869-7100 (main telephone number)

Other Important Telephone numbers:
Business Office:    (773) 869-6866
Legal Office:    (773) 869-7683
Office of the Executive Director:    (773) 869-2859
Program Services:    (773) 869-6815
Records Department:    (773) 869-5200
Training Academy:    (708) 974-5700
Inmate Trust Office    (773) 869-6864
Property Office:    (773) 869-5780

Frequently Asked Questions

I would like to visit an inmate, how can I find out the inmate's housing location?
Use our automated system 773-869-5245 or click here

Are money orders accepted for bonding purposes?
No. Only cash and certified checks are accepted for bonding purposes, and the use of certified checks must be done during normal banking hours.

Credit Cards are now being accepted for cash bail. Posting of Bail Bonds by Credit Card must be transacted in person at the 26th and California facility.

What is the address to send mail to an inmate?
The mailing address for sending letters to detainees is:

P.O. Box 089002
    Chicago, Illinois 60608

Be sure to include with the address the detainees name and I.D. number.
(I.D. #'s can be retrieved from our automated system 773-869-5245
or click here).

What items CANNOT be mailed to an inmate?
Click here to view the list of items that cannot be mailed to an inmate
Some of these items will be made available to the inmate through Commissary.

How do I wire an inmate funds for Commissary?
You can wire money to an inmate using WESTERN UNION or Money Gram.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 07:56:54 PM »

County County Jail has an average population of 10,000 to 12,000 inmates.  It houses many thousands of IDOC inmates on transfers, writs, and awaiting trials.  The Illinois Department of Corrections re-imburses Cook County for the cost of their incarcerations.

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
colorblind

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 12:01:32 AM »

If your loved one is in segregation "seg" for some disturbance or punishment, or in protective custody "PC" for his security, or has been recently moved, call the number on the website and get the name of the officer you spoke with.  Esp. in Division 9, maximum, they play with the visit times often, your man can call you and tell you his visit day.  If you go and he has been moved in the last 72 hours and his day was suddenly changed, you have a right to the visit if he is newly transferred.  Talk to a white shirt, and write down everyones name, there are so many CO's there they really have a hard time with keeping things straight.  Be calm, polite and persistent and write down names in front of them so they know you are paying attention to their actions.  And do yourself a favor and buy the book:  Courtroom 302 by Steve Bogira, he wrote it last year about Cook County Jail and Courts and it gives fantastic insight into what you are now dealing with.  Things are notoriously bad at the county as a device to get the inmate to cop-out, or plea bargain and save the courts time and money.  And the upcoming budget cuts at Cook County will only make that situation worse.   Good luck and we are here praying for you. I've been going ther for visits for nearly 3 years now.
Susan
Support Staff

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 01:03:20 PM »

My youngest daughters boyfriend is in Cook County jail.

She has no land line. How can he collect call her cell phone? Her cell carrier is Sprint.

I am #12!
Dazzler
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 01:13:04 PM »

I'm not sure there's anyway for her to accept collect calls from CCJ.  Do you know what telephone service provider they are using now?  When J was in I would just forward my home number to my cell phone when I wasn't going to be home and it worked fine...I could just press the buttons to accept the collect call.  Unless she uses someone else's landline and has it forward to her cell...I just don't know...I'm not sure any cell companies allowed collect calls yet...

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ Mahatma Gandhi
Susan
Support Staff

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 03:45:25 PM »

Yeah....I called Sprint. The customer service rep whispered the advice about the call forwarding...

She doesn't have a land line, and I'm a little scared to use mine. This girl has stuck me for lots of money, lots of times.

I think I'll pass. She can go visit him Monday.

Thanks Dazz.

I am #12!
BootCampPrince

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 09:09:16 PM »

She can prepay for the phone calls on her cell phone.  He can call her cell phone and it will ask her if she wants to prepay with a credit card.  She can put like $50 or so and she can accept calls then after.  She can always add more money later. Last time I checked a 15 minute phone call from the County costs about $5.85 or so.
Susan
Support Staff

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 11:56:07 AM »

I know that you can do that option, at least from DuPage county...it was another company setting that up...not consolidated. I think from Cook County it's different. When he has tried her number, he gets some kind of message. When I called Sprint, they told me that they only lift the collect block when a company such as consolidated calls them.

I'll tell her to have him try again, so I can let you know the exact message.

I am #12!
colorblind

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 01:20:30 PM »

I had to get a land line for the calls from county.  I had been using only a cell for years, but US Cellular is blocked, too.  Calls to me in Hinsdale are $3.75 to $4.89, for 15 minutes, depends on time of day or weekend.  I wouldn't forward for someone that may not pay you back. As things get more digital, I bet soon there will be ways for them to call cellular.
BootCampPrince

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 03:00:15 PM »

Susan: Here's the number to set it up manually.

1-800-483-8314

Susan
Support Staff

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 05:37:43 PM »

Thanks so much. I gave her the number. I'll let you know what happens!

I am #12!
nana

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 09:55:32 PM »

)(*_  the phone company is Global Tex. when he calls the cell a message will come on, and from there you can set an account up... you can also call the number from time - to - time ans hear your balance. the cost for me is $5.00 a call. however if he calls I think it is after 7 pm the cost goes down, same on the weekends.. best of luck...... nana
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 05:13:51 PM »

How long (Hrs?) are visits at Cook County?   

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
downtownchicago
Banned

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 10:34:09 PM »

I don't know if it's dependent on the division, but as I recall the one I went to had 30 minute visits (or was it 45 ?), allowing a new batch of visitors into the visiting room once each hour.  Space is limited so if there's not enough room for you with the batch you wanted to go in with, you have to wait for the next hour's batch.  Visits are through glass.  There are stools but the mouthpiece that you speak to is so high and so hard to talk through you really need to stand, or kneel on the stool, and get your face right up to the mouthpiece.  It sucks.  I have a lot of sympathy for the people who have to go their long term, while their loved ones fight their cases.
Smiles

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 01:06:32 PM »

Cook county-mail?

My brother is in Division 1, the visits there are 15 minutes! Sucks. You can't hear yourself in the visitng room, you see your loved one through thick glass. Everyone is yelling.. Kaos in there. I've been there only 2x since august, I was visiting a 3rd time & they were on lockdown.

It's hard to find any info other than the basics & since its a county and all those divisions its like a Zoo in there. The staff is horrible. I never had visited anyone in jail. It was a very eye opening experience, how they pat you down, you take off your shoes ect. The doors, gates are all overwhelming. But I wanted to know if while in there what can an inmate receive? As far as mail. Can they receive books, magazines?
Any help would be appreciated.
And im new to the site so im trying to learn to navigate through here.
Thanks in advance  tpump     bride

Life is like a photograph, you develop from the negatives.
Dazzler
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 01:13:32 PM »

Cook County Jail has changed the rules so frequently it's best you call and ask what you can bring in or mail in.  A few years ago family was still allowed to bring towels, shoes, socks, etc.  Now I think nothing is allowed.  Paperback books and magazines were allowed at one time but I really don't know about currently.

~ Mahatma Gandhi
Smiles

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 01:25:04 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Its so frustrating.. You call & they transfer you to another dept or person, put you on hold or hang up. There are so many numbers its just a big headache waiting to happen. But I will deff give them a call see what I can find out. Thanks again!  wc1

Cashyc

SOME CAN..SOME CAN'T

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »

.... SMILES..Welcome to IPT;)

Since August i've  LO residing at CCJ, They're currently (and have been in Div.11&10) in Div.6.  
  They can recieve books, crosswordpuzzles/sudoku books, magazines & pictures(i only send 4x6's).
 Just be sure that none of the above have: liquor,gang signs,weapons,nudity etc.. in them OR anything that could/would slightly resemble them.. No violence,profanity, gang association or vulgarity depicted in ANYWAY...

Vibe, XXL and Source magazines ARE NOTallowed... be sure to write the inmates Name & ID# on EVERYTHING you mail to them.... Hope i was helpful..

IT IS ..WHAT IT IS
Smiles

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 04:50:16 PM »

Thanks Cashyc

I will deff follow your advice on making sure I put his name and id# On anything I mail him(of course of that which is allowed) one more question? Are they allowed posters.. For example a poem or something similiar like that. Not big just a average size one? Well thanks again for all the info. I have a feeling this site is full of great ppl.
   wc11
 devil2

Cashyc

SOME CAN..SOME CAN'T

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 06:29:07 PM »

...SMILES..ya welcome   wc1   

I'm not sure of any posters being allowed... I know once in IDOC they aren't allowed(no pics larger than
larger than 5x7)  so i'd think they aren't allowed at CCJ either...You could always ask the CO when u visit..
 For now though, to be safe,I'd just send basic; hallmark cards, 4x6 pics & basic 'postcard' sized poem,posters etc.... And you're correct, this site is fulllllll of great people!       carving

IT IS ..WHAT IT IS
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: