Illinois Prison Talk
News:
Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK,  www.illinoisprisontalk.org -  A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections.  IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions.   This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2014.  All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 31, 2014, 02:04:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parole and Leaving the State....  (Read 5977 times)
DGsluv4ever

IT'S ME!

« on: September 24, 2006, 11:29:01 PM »

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about an parolee leaving the state.  As most might have already read DG should be out late Nov as long he gets all his school good time.  Well, my parents are planning a family vacation to Minnesota (again) next year.  They were asking if I though DG would be able to go.  I haven't had a chance to ak him about it because he has used all his calls this month.  But I am wondering how likely is it that he would get to go??  It would be either one or two weeks.  My parents are going for to but I might only be able to take a week off work.  They just have to call so they can get the cabin.....

~waiting since 10/01/06~
christinamarie

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 07:11:04 AM »

I was wandering if anyone could give me any info on if while you are on parolle is it possible to leave the state to go to work?  I have a friend who was just  parolled in early October and he is wanting to leave the state to work.  Is there a chance he will be able to?  And if so, how soon?  Thanks so much.   *(&# *(&#
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 07:24:47 AM »

Is he planning to ask for a parole transfer to another state or just leave Illinois to work and then return?  I know of one parolee that had to cross the stateline into Wisconsin some days on his job and his PO made him quit....he wasn't even allowed to leave the state for several hours on his construction job....

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
christinamarie

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 07:27:32 AM »

To be honest I don't knwo for sure, but I would say, just to leave the state and then come back.  Sounds like they are pretty strict.
Dazzler
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 07:31:22 AM »

Well, I'm sure it depends on the PO...some are more strict than others.  Terms of parole are always that a parolee is not to leave the state...unless given permission...so if he had advance approval to leave the state on a job each day he might be allowed...but he'd have to ask his PO...because for sure, if he didn't, the PO would find out and violate him....

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ Mahatma Gandhi
christinamarie

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 07:57:18 AM »

Maybe he his wanting to be transfered now that I think about it.  Here's the situation, he wants to go to North Dakota to go work for the railroad.  He just called and talked to his P.O. yesterday, he's under the impression that he'll be able to leave tomorrow.  Now I think that it would take a little longer than that to be approved???
rsandelli
Account Retired

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 10:45:20 AM »

A parolee can get temporary permission to leave for certain periods of time.  Approval just depends on the PO, as Dazzler stated.  If an inmate is in the lower half of the state, in the metro Saint Louis area, they can leave to go into the Saint Louis City limits for work or leisure.  It's a pretty common practice on this end.
christinamarie

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 07:29:10 PM »

Just thought I'd let you all know, my friends P.O. wouldn't let him go out of state to work.  She said there was to much paperwork, she couldn't get it all done in time.  Thanks for the replys.   >:)
Dazzler
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 11:03:41 AM »

Sorry Deeg, but the parole department rarely allows parolees to leave the state...however, if he's doing everything that he's supposed to it is possible, if he has a cooperative PO, he might get the rare travel permit....most parolees that want to leave the state briefly...just leave.  They don't ask permission...however, it had better be briefly and if he were to get into any kind of trouble, even traffic stops while out of state, if reported,  his parole would be revoked...

It would be best to wait until he's been on parole for a litte while, and gets to know his PO, before he requests to leave the State.

~ Mahatma Gandhi
Poopie

To the world I'm a loser, to her I'm the world!

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 05:24:56 PM »

OK So I know it very well may be a lost cause to try and get permission to go out of state. However Kris is an Iowa resident with an Iowa license and ID and was only in Illinois on a business trip when he got arrested and as a result had to do his time in Illinois because of that. But He needs to goto Iowa to get the rest of his clothing, belongings, and some furniture. We would love to ask His parole officer for permission HOWEVER, the guy who just came over after his release is covering for the guy who is covering for his ACTUAL PO, a 60-something year old woman who is about to retire in a few months. We are not sure who to ask? Last time (3 years ago) when he was on parole his PO , in other words said just becareful when leaving the state, since we were traveling with my father who is a police officer. SOOOO this time around im just not sure what to do or who to ask. its all a bit confusing.
dancer
Account Retired

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 07:53:28 PM »

I'd wait until you can talk to his regular PO and if she says it's ok,  ask to get it in writing,  if that is possible.  I did get permission for my other foster son to leave CA for one month shortly after he was released,  to come visit his siblings here in the Twin Cities.  You would not believe the ruckus I caused and I have to believe it's why he suddenly got permission.  I called my senators,  then the state senator for his area in Ca,  his PO and since the man would never call me back,  his supervisor.

I really think it helped him greatly to get in another environment for a month where he was safe and didn't have people watching over his shoulder all the time. 
pdb

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 12:20:13 AM »

So I guess a trip out of the country would be out of the question.  My guy is hoping to parole out in April.  I have a trip planned to go to Germany in August and would love for him to be able to come with me.  He has a mandatory 3 year parole.
Dazzler
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 12:26:07 AM »

He would need a passport and I believe the State Department or Treasury dept. would run him before issuing a passport and I'm not sure if they'd issue one to someone on parole.

~ Mahatma Gandhi
RayAngel

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 02:05:13 PM »

Does anyone know the process for Parolees requesting to travel out-of-state? My Fiance will be home on Dec. 14th 2009 but we would like to visit his mother for Christmas in Tennessee? Is it too soon to ask since he is coming home so close to Christmas?
lvanrs2
Support Staff

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »

When I was on parole and wanted to go to Missouri I had to have a travel pass from my PO.  Since he will only be home a few weeks before he wants to leave I am not sure if his PO would grant that request.  It all depends on his PO and what they are willing to allow.

There is no action better at creating insanity in a person than trying to control something you have no control over.

Only do whatever you are willing to pay the consequences for.
JDsMom

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 03:36:10 PM »

It is up to your PO , they will need an address, and telephone number as well at the travel pass, IF,  they do allow it. I would get it in the works now, as it usually takes alot of time for approval process. Has the PO contacted you already ???

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away.
JDsMom

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 03:37:24 PM »

Also if your LO is a SO (sex offender), they will have to report in to the local police, or sheriff's office where you will be visiting.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away.
RayAngel

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 08:16:25 PM »

Thanks for the repsonses everyone, the PO hasn't made any contact with me yet, I am going to let my Fiance know he should probably start working on getting the approval.
Dazzler
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 08:38:09 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they'll never allow it.  It's only days after his release and the PO has no record of your LO's behavior on parole to grant such a request....usually you must earn the right to a travel pass and many PO's don't give them out at all....

~ Mahatma Gandhi
Marks_guy
Support Staff

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 09:36:01 AM »

How about going about the whole situation backwards? This will be the first Christmas your LO will be home, so why not invite everyone to your home for the holiday celebration? That's what we did for my aunt when she was on parole (in Oklahoma and couldn't get a travel pass). It was llike a welcome home/christmas/vacation party all rolled together!
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: