Illinois Prison Talk
News: wc75-1  ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWN STATUS:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 25, 2014, 06:08:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DWIGHT Correctional Center - CLOSED  (Read 19350 times)
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« on: March 07, 2006, 03:09:44 PM »

Dwight Correctional Center  

Sheryl Thompson, Warden  

Facility Data
Opened: November 1930
*Operational Capacity: 1,212
Maximum Security Adult Female
*Population Dwight Correctional Center: 688
*Population Dwight Reception & Classification Center: 245
*Total Current Population: 933
Average Age: 34
FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $34,316.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.

Dwight Correctional Center is the parent institution for Dwight Reception & Classification Center

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information—please review before visiting

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

General Population

Weekdays, weekends and holidays - 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. No visitor is allowed entrance after 7:00 p.m. due to processing time. There will be a two (2) hour time limit on weekday visits, which can be extended if no one is waiting to visit.

Segregation
 Weekdays - 8:30 a.m. - 2:15 p.m. No visitor is allowed entrance after 1:00 p.m. due to processing time. There will be a one (1) hour time limit on visits.

Facility Address

Business Mail:
23813 E. 3200 North Road
 Dwight, IL 60420

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#
 23813 E. 3200 North Road
 Dwight, IL 60420

Phone: (815) 584-2806
 Fax: (815) 584-1432

Facility Information

Within a secure atmosphere, the Division of Women and Family Services will provide a continuum of programs and services under the supervision of a well-trained professional staff, beginning at reception and continuing through parole, addressing in an integrated way the unique medical, social, psychological, educational, vocational and parental needs of the committed female offender to assist her successful reintegration.

The Dwight Correctional Center, originally the Oakdale Reformatory for Women, opened November 24, 1930. The maximum security adult female facility is situated on approximately 100 acres.  Dwight serves a multifaceted population, consisting of reception and classification, segregation, protective custody, and mental health units as well as a state-of the-art medical facility designated to provide care to pregnant and critically or terminally ill inmates.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
 •ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•Pre-GED (General Education Development)
•GED (General Education Development)
•Title I
•Special Education
•College Academic Classes

Vocational:
•Cosmetology
•Commercial Cooking
•Basic Dog Grooming
•Youthful Offender Program
•Career Technology

Industries:
•Helping Paws Service Dog Training
•Garment Shop

Volunteer Services:
•Religious
•Substance Abuse
•Mentoring Programs
•Tutoring Programs
•Parenting Classes
•Mental Health Treatment Groups
•Speech/Self Esteem Programs

Other:
•Life Skills
•Substance Abuse
•Anger Management
•Leisure Time Activity
•Chaplaincy
•Library
•Day Camp
•Law Library
•Dual Diagnosis
•Hospice/Adult Care
•Life Style Redirection
•Parole School
•Medical
•Mental Health
•Sexual Abuse Program
•Substance Abuse Education

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/dwightcorrectionalcenter.aspx

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
Jims

Throw Away the Key

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 08:01:49 AM »

Since Dwight is a maximum security facility, are the visits the same as in the other maximum joints? Does the inmate have to sit at the table, not go up to the vending machines; visitor has to sit across from her and not next to her? etc. Just curious.

What's done to children, they will do to society.  ~Karl Menninger
christinamarie

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 02:52:02 PM »

Is there anyone that could give me the address to Dwight for inmates mail.I have one but want to make sure its the right one before I send anything.
                                                       thank you  CM
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 02:59:16 PM »

Inmate Mail:
23813 E. 3200 North Road
Dwight, Il 60420

Be sure you put her full name and # on it and also a full return address for you or they will return it.

You can go here when you want to look up any facility address:

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/AllFacilities.aspx

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
BettyBoop76

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »

What if you put only the address without putting Dwight Correction Center on it?

Ex: Jane Doe-XXXXXX
23813 E 3200 North Road
Dwight IL  60420

I have been addressing all my letters this way to my best friend and none have came back to me but I do have a problem she is getting mail on a hit and miss basis.She will get a letter here and a letter there and I have written every day since shes been in intake thats been about three weeks now.I didnt know I had to put Dwight Correctional Center on the envelope,I just assumed with the address number it would get where its suppose to be.Like I said she is getting hit or miss mail.Now I know what to put but can someone tell me if pherhaps she will get all the mail Ive been sending over the weeks and why is she getting some of it addressed this way and not all of it?
Thank YOu
christinamarie

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 10:34:51 AM »

We send letters addressed both ways and it seems Christy still doesnt get them all when she should.I think its the mail system at the prison just giving them the mail when they want.She eventully gets them all but they are not the order we sent them.Try numbering them or call Dwight and talk to them about it.Thats what we did and she still hasnt got the books we sent the day after she left home.Its a hit and miss thing I think. Good luck with your letters
                                             Christysmom
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 11:52:07 AM »

There's always the possibility that they don't want the inmates having books during classification...who knows...the ways of the DOC...or they are sitting on the Book Reviewer's desk waiting to be reviewed.  Once Jeff was waiting over a month for his books...the reviewer was on vacation....

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
BettyBoop76

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 03:12:05 PM »

Thanks guys, I was worried she wasnt getting any of my mail and I have written some important things in the letters,like her grandfather dying,and her fav actress Anna Nichole Smith,ect and tons of things about her son.She did send a card she had purchased and I got it in a timely manner,it just seems all of my mail isnt getting to her.Will calling Dwight do anything? Or will it just make them angrier?I am sending some pics also of her child to her and I am hoping they dont get lost!!!!Thank you guys I thought me addressing them was hindering them getting to her.But I guess it probably doesnt matter .Its just the system.I can tell you they must have tons of my letters sitting somewhere.She has been there for  three weeks now and Ive written her daily,you would think they would get tired of my mail sitting on their desk after a while lol

Thanks for the help guys!
rhondarenee

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 11:41:49 AM »

I posted this message in another topic for someone and they thought it would be useful here.

I spent time in dwight R&C
First when she gets there she will be in intake unit, she doesn't have any commisary, phone, or movement privileges at that time.
They are served meals in their cells. She will spend approximately 1-2 weeks in either A wing or B wing. The time spent here is while they are reviewing her record and crimes. She will be there until they give her security clearance. (which means classify as minimum, medium or maximum security. During this time she will also be waiting on a medical clearance. They check to make sure they don't have airborn contagious diseases, such as TB. They do a test when she gets in the door. Once she is medically cleared, she will be able then to shop commissary, walk to chow and go to rec for an hour or so a day. She will also fill out a visitors list and a phone number list of all the people she wishes to call. Phone privileges are not granted until the information is checked and verified and a pin number is issued.
The next step is to go to C wing once the "security clearance" comes back. She then will get more rec time, and also will be able to attend church, or go see the movie if there is one playing. She will also be given a job. Most likely in the kitchen, either making or serving food. She can also get visits at this time. Her pin number to use the phone should come right about now, but access to the phone is very limited. 1-2 weeks from then will come shipment day.
If she has children, she'll most likely go to Decatur. If not it will be probably Lincoln. If she has a violent crime or anything else that makes her a security risk, she will stay at Dwight. Once she gets into general population, she will have more movement, more access to the phone etc...............
R79424

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 04:36:03 PM »

The information about Dwight R&C was pretty accurate except for a few key points. 
1.  While in intake the inmate will not work anywhere.  Jobs are not assigned until you reach your parent institution.
2. They are now allowed to make phone calls during intake.  It takes about a week to get a pin # but as soon as you do you can use the phone.  One call usually and only for 15 mins on the weekends.  It usually depends on the officers if every inmate gets the phone.  Some don't watch the list or care to pop the doors to let them. 
3.  You can now shop during intake.  It is personals and stationary only but they allow one treat.  Either a bag of chips or a candy bar.
4.  Every inmate in R&C has a theory about who gets shipped first.  I haven't seen a method to their madness yet.  It seems like the luck of the draw.  My first time I was in receiving only 12 days.  Second time 6 weeks and I have seen women who do 3 months there.  It is really anyones guess as to whose name will be called for shipment but every Monday they all pray its them. 
5. All of the x house or C16 is now used for receiving.  The boot campers live in there until they are shipped but the rest of the inmates are all intake. 
6.  Summer is HELL.  In July it was 120 degrees in the cells and there are no fans.  As punishment or because they don't like the noise the Co's will often shut off the blowers that circulate the air.  The floors and walls sweat water all day and you can only shower Mon Wed Fri for upper deck and Tues Thurs Sat for lower deck.  If you move on your shower day to the other deck too bad.  Definitely not an experience I want to repeat.
TimeStandsStill
Mod Squad

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 08:50:22 PM »

John Howard Association
Monitoring Tour of Dwight Correctional Center October 12, 2010

http://www.thejha.org/Dwight1012
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: