News: ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWNS: MENARD ON LEVEL ONE, NO VISITS.

• May 04, 2016, 12:24:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to ILLINOIS PRISON TALK, www.illinoisprisontalk.org - A Family Support Forum and Information Center for those interacting with the Illinois Department of Corrections. IPT members are comprised of family/friends of inmates, prison reform activists, ex-offenders, prisoner rights advocates and others interested in the well-being of Illinois prisoners. We encourage open discussion but please be tolerant of other's opinions. This website is protected by Copyright © 2006-2016. All rights reserved. There are some private forums that require registration, please register.

Author Topic: SHERIDAN Correctional Center  (Read 50769 times)

Offline Dazzler

• Editor-in-Chief
  • Administrator
  • Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate
    • Illinois Prison Talk
SHERIDAN Correctional Center
« on: March 06, 2006, 09:07:15 AM »

Sheridan Correctional Center 

Marcus Hardy, Warden 

Facility Data
Sheridan Correctional Center
 Opened: (Re-Opened) January 2, 2004
 *Operational Capacity: 1,710
 Medium Security Adult Male
 *Current Population: 1,636
 Average Age: 29
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $34,733.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

Effective September 1, 2012 the following will be Sheridan Correctional Center’s visitation policy. The Central Visitation Room (CVR) shall be open 7 days a week and visits shall be limited to no more than two (2) hours in length.

General Population inmates may visit during the following times after they have been at the facility for 7 days: 
Monday through Friday: 12:00p.m. to 8:30p.m.
 Saturday, Sunday, & State Approved Holidays: 9:00a.m. to 8:30p.m.

Substance Abuse Program inmates may visit during the following times after they have been at the facility for 30 days:
 Monday through Friday: 3:00p.m. to 8:30p.m.
 Saturday, Sunday, & State Approved Holidays: 9:00a.m. to 8:30p.m.

All offenders will be allowed 5 visits a month with no more than 2 taking place on a weekend or State Approved Holiday. A weekend/State Approved Holiday visit is defined as a visit which takes place on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday or State Approved Holiday.

Facility Address

Business Mail:
4017 E. 2603 Road
 Sheridan, IL 60551

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#
 4017 E. 2603 Road
 Sheridan, IL 60551

Phone: (815) 496-2181
 Fax: (815) 496-2931

Facility Information

The Sheridan Correctional Center is an adult male medium security prison, totally dedicated to substance abuse treatment and is one of the largest substance abuse treatment programs in the nation. Sheridan Correctional Center was reopened on Jan. 2, 2004, to curb the trend in Illinois' growing prison population to reduce high recidivism rates of released Illinois offenders, providing men with evidenced based substance abuse treatment services, and using the Therapeutic Community approach to equip offenders to return to drug-free, crime-free lives upon release. In the Sheridan Correctional Center nation model program, treatment interventions and access to other services are coordinated from the outset. The substance abuse provider collaborates with a cadre of service providers, the Illinois Department of Corrections and Adult Parole to effect community reintegration of returning offenders and improve public safety. Recovering from addiction requires a wide range of social and psychological interventions to confront old behaviors and instill new ones. Sheridan Correctional Center applies clinical best practices and uses a modified therapeutic community model with cognitive self-change. Sheridan Correctional Center staff collaborates with other organizations to clinical reentry management services and community reintegration, including continuing care provided by community-based substance abuse treatment providers.

Sheridan Correctional Center is located approximately 70 miles west of Chicago in LaSalle County and was originally constructed in 1941 as a juvenile facility. On August 13, 1973, it was converted to an adult facility. Sheridan Correctional Center was closed from August 15, 2002, until it reopened on January 2, 2004. Sheridan Correctional Center consists of a total of 75 buildings, which comprise more than 600,000 square feet. There are 13 housing units and a 9-bed health care unit. The facility sits on 270 acres with 80 acres inside the perimeter fencing. The facility houses general population offenders.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
 •ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•GED (General Education Development) 
Vocational:
 •Culinary Arts
•Barbering
•Welding
•Warehousing
•Horticulture
•Career Technologies
•Home Builders Institute (HBI)
•Electricity
•Carpentry
•Plumbing
•Masonry
•Building Apartment Maintenance
•Illinois Manufacturing Foundation (IMF)
•Machining/CNC Technology 
Industries:
 •Garment Cutting 
Volunteer Services:
 •Alcoholics Anonymous
•Narcotics Anonymous
•Bible Studies
•Fathers Read, Too
•Inside Out Dads
Other:
 •Positive Parenting Class
•Recreational Therapy
•Peer Education Program
•Drug Education
•Healthy Relationships
•Anger Management
•Young Men's Aggressive Management Groups
•Incarcerated Veterans Transition Program
•Leisure Time Activity
•Chaplaincy
•Library
•Inner Circle Groups

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/sheridancorrectionalcenter.aspx
~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Offline OnOurOwn16

Re: SHERIDAN Correctional Center
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 02:41:56 PM »
Hi all,

I have a question or maybe, questions about my husband's current location.
My husband was just moved from NRC to Sheridan as his parent facility and I am extremely curious as to the facility; specifically, the program ran by Westcare at this facility. To my (current) knowledge and understanding, the inmates are immediately entered into the Westcare substance abuse counseling program that stems multiple months and appears to be very intensive. I have called and spoke with a counselor as to his housing status (i.e. substance abuse or general population) and I was told that he is in the substance abuse program. Therefore, what can any family members or friends offer me in regards to how the program works, the structure, the credit(s) earned, etc.
I do understand that he can't have visits for the first 30-days but I was told he can make phone calls as soon as his phone list has been approved. Does anyone know the length of time it takes (on average) for the facility (Sheridan) to approve his list? A counselor confirmed that he sat through orientation on Monday (which lasted until 3pm) which was where he'd receive his paperwork for things like the phone list but the counselor I spoke with stated that it appeared as though the phone list had not been submitted by him yet (not meaning he hasn't submitted or is in the process -- I imagine it might take a day or two for paperwork to catch up)
Basically, I am very interested in the INs and OUTs of Sheridan and the program(s) there because it definitely seems like a different atmosphere than some of the other facilities that my husband and I have had the experience learning and engaging with while in the system.
Thanks in advance for any and all information! :)

Offline jaf

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 03:46:34 PM »
Hi all,

I have a question or maybe, questions about my husband's current location.
My husband was just moved from NRC to Sheridan as his parent facility and I am extremely curious as to the facility; specifically, the program ran by Westcare at this facility. To my (current) knowledge and understanding, the inmates are immediately entered into the Westcare substance abuse counseling program that stems multiple months and appears to be very intensive. I have called and spoke with a counselor as to his housing status (i.e. substance abuse or general population) and I was told that he is in the substance abuse program. Therefore, what can any family members or friends offer me in regards to how the program works, the structure, the credit(s) earned, etc.
I do understand that he can't have visits for the first 30-days but I was told he can make phone calls as soon as his phone list has been approved. Does anyone know the length of time it takes (on average) for the facility (Sheridan) to approve his list? A counselor confirmed that he sat through orientation on Monday (which lasted until 3pm) which was where he'd receive his paperwork for things like the phone list but the counselor I spoke with stated that it appeared as though the phone list had not been submitted by him yet (not meaning he hasn't submitted or is in the process -- I imagine it might take a day or two for paperwork to catch up)
Basically, I am very interested in the INs and OUTs of Sheridan and the program(s) there because it definitely seems like a different atmosphere than some of the other facilities that my husband and I have had the experience learning and engaging with while in the system.
Thanks in advance for any and all information! :)

Check out this John Howard Association report on Sheridan.  Be sure to read the footnotes, they're usually very informative.

http://thejha.org/sites/default/files/Sheridan%20Correctional%20Center%20Report%202013.pdf

Offline tamron214

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 05:03:36 PM »
OnOurOwn16...
My son went through the Westcare program at Sheridan. He was released a little over a month ago. After he was transferred from NRC to Sheridan it took only a couple of days before he called for the first time. They stay pretty busy and have limited calls, daily, but at certain times. After morning group is when he usually called his wife. And would try to get a quick call in to me.

My son had been in treatment programs before, (2- 30 day, 1- 30 day relapse prevention, 2- 90 day, and Intensive Outpatient).

Westcare is different than any of the ones he had been to. I'm not sure exactly what is different, but it really made a difference in my son and his desire to be and stay sober. But that may also have something to do with the whole incarcerated thing. He was in Cook Co. for 7 months and had been in the Westcare program there for 6 of the months. Then NRC for 3 weeks. Then to Sheridan's Westcare program. So not really sure what changed him, but he changed :)

He received 1.5 days for each day in the program. 1 day for each of the days he waited to get started.
Visiting there is as pleasant as it can be at IDOC. Rules are followed. The Officers that I came in contact with were all very nice and helpful. We did follow each and every rule. The facility is ok and parking is convenient.
It's still IDOC.... So expect some of the same as anywhere else.

I searched Westcare when my son first started it at Cook Co. Westcare has its own website. Check it out.
I hope I answered at least one of your questions.

Good Luck to you and your l/o.

It will be what he makes of it. And what he wants to get out of it.

Offline Joy4archie

• Eternity awaits! <3
  • Can't wait for Spring!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »
I was just reading the pdf and it said that no one with murders or sex offenses can go there. Is that true or am I reading it wrong? I would really love my fiance to get help for his alcohol abuse. He's also had past drug abuse, but thankfully that is under control. His counselor told him that he could get in to Southwestern or Sheridan for their drug and alcohol treatment program, and wouldn't his counselor know that he is a sex offender? :/ Here is what the pdf says. I copied it!

"To be eligible for treatment at Sheridan an inmate must: have identified need, volunteer, have no
murder or sex offenses, and have at least nine months but not more than three years of his
sentence remaining."

Offline Rlbeth11

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 08:41:17 PM »
What is Sheridan like ? What does a daily schedule look like there ?