Illinois Prison Talk
News: wc75-1  ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWN STATUS:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 31, 2014, 05:27:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SHERIDAN Correctional Center  (Read 36788 times)
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« on: March 06, 2006, 10:07:15 AM »

Sheridan Correctional Center 

Marcus Hardy, Warden 

Facility Data
Sheridan Correctional Center
 Opened: (Re-Opened) January 2, 2004
 *Operational Capacity: 1,710
 Medium Security Adult Male
 *Current Population: 1,636
 Average Age: 29
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $34,733.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

Effective September 1, 2012 the following will be Sheridan Correctional Center’s visitation policy. The Central Visitation Room (CVR) shall be open 7 days a week and visits shall be limited to no more than two (2) hours in length.

General Population inmates may visit during the following times after they have been at the facility for 7 days: 
Monday through Friday: 12:00p.m. to 8:30p.m.
 Saturday, Sunday, & State Approved Holidays: 9:00a.m. to 8:30p.m.

Substance Abuse Program inmates may visit during the following times after they have been at the facility for 30 days:
 Monday through Friday: 3:00p.m. to 8:30p.m.
 Saturday, Sunday, & State Approved Holidays: 9:00a.m. to 8:30p.m.

All offenders will be allowed 5 visits a month with no more than 2 taking place on a weekend or State Approved Holiday. A weekend/State Approved Holiday visit is defined as a visit which takes place on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday or State Approved Holiday.

Facility Address

Business Mail:
4017 E. 2603 Road
 Sheridan, IL 60551

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#
 4017 E. 2603 Road
 Sheridan, IL 60551

Phone: (815) 496-2181
 Fax: (815) 496-2931

Facility Information

The Sheridan Correctional Center is an adult male medium security prison, totally dedicated to substance abuse treatment and is one of the largest substance abuse treatment programs in the nation. Sheridan Correctional Center was reopened on Jan. 2, 2004, to curb the trend in Illinois' growing prison population to reduce high recidivism rates of released Illinois offenders, providing men with evidenced based substance abuse treatment services, and using the Therapeutic Community approach to equip offenders to return to drug-free, crime-free lives upon release. In the Sheridan Correctional Center nation model program, treatment interventions and access to other services are coordinated from the outset. The substance abuse provider collaborates with a cadre of service providers, the Illinois Department of Corrections and Adult Parole to effect community reintegration of returning offenders and improve public safety. Recovering from addiction requires a wide range of social and psychological interventions to confront old behaviors and instill new ones. Sheridan Correctional Center applies clinical best practices and uses a modified therapeutic community model with cognitive self-change. Sheridan Correctional Center staff collaborates with other organizations to clinical reentry management services and community reintegration, including continuing care provided by community-based substance abuse treatment providers.

Sheridan Correctional Center is located approximately 70 miles west of Chicago in LaSalle County and was originally constructed in 1941 as a juvenile facility. On August 13, 1973, it was converted to an adult facility. Sheridan Correctional Center was closed from August 15, 2002, until it reopened on January 2, 2004. Sheridan Correctional Center consists of a total of 75 buildings, which comprise more than 600,000 square feet. There are 13 housing units and a 9-bed health care unit. The facility sits on 270 acres with 80 acres inside the perimeter fencing. The facility houses general population offenders.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
 •ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•GED (General Education Development) 
Vocational:
 •Culinary Arts
•Barbering
•Welding
•Warehousing
•Horticulture
•Career Technologies
•Home Builders Institute (HBI)
•Electricity
•Carpentry
•Plumbing
•Masonry
•Building Apartment Maintenance
•Illinois Manufacturing Foundation (IMF)
•Machining/CNC Technology 
Industries:
 •Garment Cutting 
Volunteer Services:
 •Alcoholics Anonymous
•Narcotics Anonymous
•Bible Studies
•Fathers Read, Too
•Inside Out Dads
Other:
 •Positive Parenting Class
•Recreational Therapy
•Peer Education Program
•Drug Education
•Healthy Relationships
•Anger Management
•Young Men's Aggressive Management Groups
•Incarcerated Veterans Transition Program
•Leisure Time Activity
•Chaplaincy
•Library
•Inner Circle Groups

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/sheridancorrectionalcenter.aspx

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
mag820

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 06:00:03 PM »

Does anyone have any information about Sheridan's program. Do they get additional time off for addiction counseling? I heard it was 45 days for every 90? A minimum amount of program time?
Dazzler
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 07:37:29 PM »

Hi Mag....the last I heard, and it's not official, is that inmates participating in a drug program get 30 days additional good time for each 90 days spent in a program.  They are allowed to earn a total of 90 days additional good time for attending educational classes.  There may be some special consideration for Sheridan inmates.  Also, no violent offenders may receive this time or those who have been in the DOC on two other occasions.  It must their first or second bid in IDOC.  Maybe others will come along with more answers.

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ Mahatma Gandhi
pinkgirl02

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 12:02:16 AM »

Hi Ya'll-

I just checked the doc website and my dad has been moved to Sheridan, I went to get the new address and it's not listed. Does anyone have the address?? I really want to send him some money now that I have some to send, but clearly I can't do that if I don't have the address. Can someone help me out? Thanks a bunch!
Jims

Throw Away the Key

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 12:10:14 AM »

The address is just this:

Inmate's Name
Inmate's Number
Sheridan, Il 60551

You could also send it to him via Western Union, but it's costly if you're only sending in $50 or less.

What's done to children, they will do to society.  ~Karl Menninger
pinkgirl02

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 12:15:44 AM »

Thanks a bunch! I was thinking they couldn't just have the name and number that they needed an actual address but apparently not lol. Thanks a lot! :)
Jims

Throw Away the Key

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 07:49:01 AM »

You're welcome. It is strange that there's no PO box or anything. If you want to double check, give them a call.

What's done to children, they will do to society.  ~Karl Menninger
MissnMoose

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 11:01:13 PM »

My husband is possibly interested in transferring to Sheridan.   Anyone out there with loved ones here?  It's closer to home for our family, but not sure if this request will be an easy one.  I'm interested in hearing more about the environment (inside and out) for families.   We have two young children.

Peace,

MnM
downtownchicago
Banned

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 12:44:59 PM »

Does anyone know how long the visits are at Sheridan ?  And truly no weekday visits ?
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 12:49:12 PM »

9:00 AM to 8:30 PM on Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays. 

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
downtownchicago
Banned

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 12:58:19 PM »

Yah, but how long are the visits ... 4 hours ?  2 ?
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 01:09:39 PM »

They are only two hours..  more information for Sheridan visiting:

Visiting will not begin until the inmate is released from the Gateway Orientation. Inmates will not be eligible for visits until a minimum of 30 days or after they pass the Gateway post-test.

9:00 AM to 8:30 PM on Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays.

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
downtownchicago
Banned

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 02:37:19 PM »

Thank you !
downtownchicago
Banned

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 04:05:42 PM »

Oh duh, I just realized that it does say in the opening post that visits are 2 hours.  I wonder why I missed that first time around ?  Seriously my reading skills are going to pot !
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 03:39:52 PM »

Sheridan Correctional Program Evaluation Summary, May 2006 ...

http://www.icjia.state.il.us/public/pdf/ProgEvalSummary/Sheridan.pdf

dianne1947

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 08:35:37 PM »

:~) Hi everyone,a question,my son is now in winnebago county jail,monday he gets sentenced,his public def.told him he talked to states attorney,and they ar asking he go to sheridan,i see they are over capacity now,what happens can he stay, in jail and wait ,or do they send him somewhere else? they want him there because he has severe drug problem[like there any other kind,than severe] he is as in the dark as i am,first time for a prison,he's so scared and confused listening to all the inmates telling him different thoughs on whats going to happen.so,if anyone has any info that might help me,i'd really appreciate it.also,should i send him 100.00 now or wait till he gets where he's going?thanks so much.god bless       
                                                                                                                                                                                   Dianne
Dazzler
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 08:44:20 PM »

Well first Mom, he must go through R and C...that's where he'll remain until it's time to be assigned to a home institution.  Please read Ten Steps to Understanding the IDOC...it'll answer most of your initial questions.  If there's room at Sheridan and his counselor and the DOC think Sheridan would be the proper prison for him then he'll have to remain at Stateville until there's a bed available.  Not all inmates that are recommended to Sheridan by a judge get to go to Sheridan.  There are several other prisons that deal primarily with drug addiction also.  Southwestern is one.  Most of the other prisons have some type of drug abuse program also.  Sheridan is an intense treatment facility.  $100 is too much to send him while he's in R and C.  Stateville is notorious for transferring inmate accounts to other facilities at their leisure...sometimes four or more weeks after an inmate is reassigned.  Send him a smaller amount.  Incoming inmates cannot spend much money...only personal items are allowed and the State provides them if they have no money.  Register with VINE and you'll be notified as soon as your son is moved...then Quick Collect him some money and he'll have it immediately.  Go to Getting Started in the IDOC near the top of the homepage and read about VINE and most everything else you will need to know.  If you have more questions, and I'm sure you will...just give us a shout back....Welcome.

~ Mahatma Gandhi
w8tn4hm

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 08:01:47 AM »

Dianne,  %$#@ to IPT. This is such a great forum to receive tons of information, support and comfort while your son is in IDOC. My fiance is in Sheridan, so if there is anything you need to know, please feel free to post or send me a personal message. Once my fiance was approved for Sheridan, there was not a waiting period for a bed to free up. Maybe the circumstances have changed now.  Anyway, please don't hesitate to ask me anything you need to know about Sheridan...I am on here daily.

Be strong, but when you feel you need to cry or simply vent, you'll find tons of support here!

W8tn4hm
dianne1947

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 10:49:43 PM »

HI,friends,well 6:00am Nov1. my son is on his way to statesville,he's really anxious,never been to prison,a few jails,anyway can anyone tell me what happens there,the inmates in jail with him tell him he's locked up 23 hrs,a day,is that true? how long is he here for,and why is he there at all, and not just sent to where he does his term?I guess I am more anxious than he is.Thanks for any help,GOD bless cyin
SMD

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 10:50:54 PM »

When your son is sentenced he will go to Statesville R&C. From there he will be send off to his home prison..
                                                                          SMD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: