Illinois Prison Talk
News: wc75-1  ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWN STATUS:

PINCKNEYVILLE ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING..
MENARD ON LOCKDOWN. NO VISITS ALLOWED.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. December 22, 2014, 06:40:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VANDALIA Correctional Center  (Read 65116 times)
bebejade

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 11:08:47 PM »

I have the question about MapQuest, too. My husband just got to Vandalia yesterday so I don't think I can visit yet but i want to be prepared.. MapQuest won't let me get directions to the Correctional Ctr. I got directions to Vandalia the city but I couldn't even see the prison on that map at all. It's a 3hr drive it looks like. I don't drive on the highway much or cross state so I'm anxious to find out how I'm going to be doing this.
Mrs.Ziemer

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 10:48:19 PM »

yeah...i got lost the first time because of google maps gave me another address...it depends where are you coming from...its not very difficult...at least from my home in the far west suburbs of chicago.
vicb66

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2008, 10:52:07 PM »

If you are coming from the north.It is straight down I-57 to Hwy 51.  At the exit. Turn right.  Go approximately 2 miles.  The prison is on your right.
WAID

That's me, I'm a TOIL GIRL!!

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 11:57:35 AM »

I have the question about MapQuest, too. My husband just got to Vandalia yesterday so I don't think I can visit yet but i want to be prepared.. MapQuest won't let me get directions to the Correctional Ctr. I got directions to Vandalia the city but I couldn't even see the prison on that map at all. It's a 3hr drive it looks like. I don't drive on the highway much or cross state so I'm anxious to find out how I'm going to be doing this.

I'd suggest avoiding going down Rte.51 as it's a 2 lane road. Coming from the north to stay on the highway 57 south in Effingham, take 70 west. Vandalia has 2 exits, the prison is the 1st exit (Rte. 51), take a right at the exit, it's about 1.5 miles north & on the right side.

Diamonds ARE a girls best friend.
vicb66

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 04:53:22 PM »

I take 51 all of the way from Pana.It's good road.I set the cruise control at 65 and only have to slow down for a couple of towns.If you are coming from Chicago she's right.Stay on the interstate.Happy Motoring!
Mrs.Ziemer

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »

i want to go visit soon...if anyone wants to share a ride im willing to drive...i live in the far west suburb of chicago in naperville...just send a message...im going this tuesday for sure
Still love my son

David Cook Rocked in St Louis 7/18/08!!!

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 09:50:48 AM »

wc14

I am interested in hearing from anyone with information on the
WORK CAMP @ Vandalia

I don't know to much about work camps.  We had a member a long time ago that was in a work camp somewhere by Peoria, and I remember hearing they stayed in a hotel, and got freedom, and weekend visits to home.

If anyone has any information on how the Work Camp in Vandalia operates please post back.
THANKS
tacessna

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 08:51:32 AM »

Hi,
Our son is being transferred from Pinckneyville to Vandalia. What can you tell me about life as an inmate in Vandalia?
Terry
sosad00

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 05:14:35 PM »

I am hoping someone can give me some information.  I am trying to find out about visiting at Vandalia.  Does anyone know if there is a certain number of days you can visit per month?  I dont want to use up all my days too quick for the month.  Some people say you can visit as much as you want others say only 5 days a week.  Does anyone know the real answer?
anthony777

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »

How did you son get transferred from pinckneyville? Did someone request it
Jane

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 05:34:15 PM »

Nat,
 I am not sure how it works in Illinois but I remember some things we used to do to move around this system. We could sign up for classes or programs that were offered on other units. Also, if we had a special skill for some work needed on another unit. That guy from John Howard called me today and he knew alot - you should call him 312-795-9454
Jane
anthony777

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 04:50:10 PM »

Jane, Thanks for checking! I have a friend that is a Kane county Board Member and referred me to a IL senator that is helping. Steve does have to go to schooling because his test score was 5.8 and he needed a 6.0. He also signed up to get a job. He told me to tell you hi and his picture was taken after no shower for a week from Statesville. How is Doug
Nat
Jane

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 07:02:55 AM »

That's funny that Steven is worried about how his mug shot looked- That made me laugh out loud!! Tell him I had a few of those after shower shots myself!
Doug sounds great Natalie, better than i've ever heard him _ ALIVE and very sweet like we know he is.
He sounds like he's had a life changing experience and that is terrible what they did to him but he lived through it and maybe that's what he needed. I love him so much and I just want him to have a happy life.
Now I'm  battling with the parole plans, he can't come to Texas because the Field Services rep on his unit is new and "Doesn't know how to do it".  wc35 so then they tell me if he has to go to halfway house that he will have to go to Southern Illinois to a homeless shelter where he knows absolutly no one and there is not a transit system. I finally got ahold of the Home placement folks in Chicago and he said today not to worry, that he is going to find him a rehab/halfway house to go in the Chicago area until he can transfer down here. these people make me nervous - everyone tells you something different
 I hope ya'll have a great visit this weekend- tell Diane and Steven Hi for me and I did send him letter and Doug is going to write him as well.
Mazzy

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »

Hubby just went to Vandalia today  wc17 I am interested in car pooling, splitting gas/room or just gas. I really want to go soon, and any info needed to would be great. Thank you all for your input!!!!

Mazzy
iluvjwh

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2009, 09:50:04 AM »

My Man was just moved to Vandalia.  I am  wondering if there is anyone that can give me updated information about the conditions there.  Both in general and as specific as you are aware.  I'm glad that he was moved from Graham R&C but sure wish it was closer!  Do you know anything about drug/alochol classes?  Thanks,
Elicia
dbaby_1982

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »

There is a drug program there, my guy's brother is nearing completion of it. Yeah, my guy and his brother are in the same facility...even get out 3 days apart.  What are your specific questions as far as the conditions go? It's prison, not day camp as my guy says, but as far as prisons go, it could be much worse. The facility is set up dorm style, with 100+ men in each building. When they leave the dorms, they walk in formation like the military. I always thought this was weird, but they have lil tunnels so if it's raining they don't get all wet. Speaking of rain, if it rains AT ALL, they lose yard for 5 days. Ok...so I could go on and on. My guy has been there over a year. If you have other questions, post them here or pm me if you want.
wifey82

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2009, 02:52:32 PM »

My husband has been there for about 30 days, and i have yet to go see him. He tells me that I need two photo ids, is this true? I have read some of the other posts, but none of them say 2. I just need to clarify before I go. I am planning to go on our birthday next month. Also according to mapquest i should take 51 once i get off the express way. Is that the best way? I read that 70 or 71 I cant remember now is easier for people visiting. If anyone can help me i would appreciate it. One other small question.. what is the chance that he would get released early for overcrowding? He is only there until September supposedly, but it sucks and would like him home  wc1
dbaby_1982

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2009, 05:39:59 PM »

As far as what id's are needed, I'd give the facility a call. When I first started visiting they accepted DL and SS card, but I've heard/read they aren't accepting SS cards anymore for privacy reasons, so since the rules are always changing, I'd give them a call. After the initial visit, you just need 1 photo id. The early release question..while I suppose anything could happen, I don't suspect them to start releasing people in the next 3 months for overcrowding. He has good time he's eligible for, along with any other programs they offer at Vandalia that he might be able to take part in that would give him more credit. Don't worry though, 3 months will fly by!
LStoney

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2009, 09:38:04 PM »

I have been to Vandalia 5 times in the past six months.  I only needed a drivers licence.  You can only bring in three things: Your ID, one ignition key to your car, and a vending machine card which you purchase there.  I never needed a social security card.  I was so nervous the first time, but it was a breeze.  They will take you in a room, ask you to empty your pockets and pat you down, then tell you to go in.  It is easy.  Have a great time and get there early so you can take advantage of the full five hours.
lovinghim09

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2009, 08:26:12 PM »

anyone planning on going to vandalia Friday I. would b willing to split gas cost I really would like to go Fridayn...pm if so

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: