Illinois Prison Talk
News: wc75-1  ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWN STATUS:

SHAWNEE ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.
DIXON ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.
ILLINOIS RIVER ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.
MENARD IS ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 06:49:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HILL Correctional Center  (Read 45180 times)
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« on: March 06, 2006, 09:57:19 AM »

Post information here please

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
Peanuts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 10:01:10 AM »

Hill Correctional Center 

Kevwe Akpore, Warden 

Facility Data

Hill Correctional Center
 Opened: October 1986
 *Operational Capacity: 1,867
 Medium Security Adult Male
 *Current Population: 1,795
 Average Age: 33
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $19,240.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information—please review before visiting

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

General Population
 8:30 a.m. to 5:30p.m. seven (7) days a week.  Offenders are permitted six (6) visits per month, with no more than two (2) on weekends or holidays.

Visitors must arrive by 3:30 p.m. or they will not be allowed to visit.

Segregation Inmates
 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
 Visitors must arrive by 11:30 a.m.

No weekend and no holiday visits permitted for inmates in segregation.

Facility Address

Business Mail:
600 South Linwood Road
 P.O. Box 1327
 Galesburg, IL 61402 

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#
 P.O. Box 1700
 Galesburg, IL 61402

Phone: (309) 343-4212
 Fax: (309) 343-4287

Facility Information

Hill Correctional Center, located in Galesburg, a north central community, is a medium security adult male prison within the state of Illinois.

Hill Correctional Center is comprised of 71 acres of land, 38 acres within the security fences. The facility is situated in the southwest corner of Galesburg. The facility consists of a total of 29 buildings. The living units consist of four housing units and one orientation/receiving unit. In addition, there is one segregation unit, a 17-bed infirmary unit and two main recreational yards.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
•ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•GED (General Education Development)
•Pre-GED (General Education Development)

Vocational:
•Custodial Maintenance
•Career Technologies

Industries:
•Milk
•Juice
•Meat

Volunteer:
•Religious
•Alcoholics Anonymous

Other:
•Lifestyle Redirection
•Life Skills, TRAC 1
•Parole School
•Reentry Summits
•Substance Abuse Education
•Anger Management
•Leisure Time Activity
•Chaplaincy
•Library Activities - Legal and General
•Empathy Skills Group
•Inside Out Dads
•Fatherhood Initiative

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/hillcorrectionalcenter.aspx
Dazzler
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 12:57:57 PM »

Photos of Hill will be coming shortly.  I will be there this week and post accomodations when I return.  There are a number of chain hotels and it's a beautiful charming town with lots of antique shops and shopping and dining.  It was a hub for railroading at the turn of the century and the beautiful Victorian homes are amazing to see.  Carl Sandburg's boyhood home is in Galesburg and it's open to the public as a museum.  Hill is on the outskirts of town almost right off the Interstate Exit.  It's easy to find.  It looks similar to the other prisons built in the 80's.  It looks very much like an office park of one-story buildings except for the barbed fencing.  There are two outdoor areas for recreation.  One for general population and one for protective custody.  My guy says the weights are outside, that's where he works out.  Telephone calls are allowed every other night.  Even or odd days, it rotates with the calendar.  Phone calls can be made during dayroom time every day.  Visiting is very relaxed.  No wait time.  Vending machines take debit cards, the same as at the other prisons.  The visiting tables are the metal four-seater ones.  Ladies make sure you have a panty waistband to snap during the brief search.  You must wear underwear or you'll be refused a visit. 

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ Mahatma Gandhi
jewels
Account Retired

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 01:21:11 PM »

Fancy you thinking that some of us would even think of not wearing any panties! I do like the ladies bit, though I have never professed to be  a lady :-)
Dazzler
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 01:43:00 PM »

?>     I only mentioned that because I brought a friend with to visitng and she never wears them...she had jeans...and they sent her out to get some....OF MINE....LOL.  Luckily my suitcase was in the trunk of the car.  She wanted to die of embarassment.  The female CO was very cool about it too...it's just their rules.  Shake our your bra and snap your pants...

~ Mahatma Gandhi
sweet pea

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 07:29:38 PM »

Does anyone now about segeration at the hill????? I know they dont get phone calls, but do they get to go to comminsary?????  Also do they get their mail???

Thanks,

Paula        .>>
Dazzler
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 07:46:22 PM »

Paula, as far as I know, any SEG inmate is only allowed to spend $30 per month on 'personals'.   That includes toiletries and write-outs.  They are allowed to purchase 20 write-outs per month as part of that $30 limit  They are usually allowed non-contact visits and mail may NEVER be withheld from any inmate in any prison.  Sometimes inmate mail must go through Internal Affairs, depending on the conditions of his segregation, but it is a Federal offense to withhold or not allow an inmate mail privileges.   If you look under Title 20 in our DOC Rules and Regulations Forum you will find a list of subjects that govern IDOC inmates....including violations that may result in SEG and how long SEG time can be given for each offense.  Sorry you're going through this.  I also did for nine months.  It's rough....

~ Mahatma Gandhi
sweet pea

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 08:13:59 PM »

Well thanks for the info it helped alot, well one good thing is that he will be only in their for a couple more weeks.

thanks,

Paula   <<<
bigsis1

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 12:48:08 PM »

Hi there I am still a little new to this site, but as I read on I see there is not that much
stated about Hill C.C..  Is there not a lot of people who go there? 
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 01:20:51 PM »

Bigsis, there are many here who do indeed go to Hill(or have gone) and have loved ones there ... If you do a search about HILL, I am sure you will come up with  posts from members, not just on this profile page.   

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
dancer
Account Retired

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 02:24:26 PM »

I got my first letter from E from Hill today.   He says  it is CLEAN!  He's excited there is no fence like stateville and he can see cars,  trains,  scenery.  He said most inmates there get a job or can go to school.  He says you can hold hands at visits and have a decent kiss.   
EMERALD

I am what I am

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 03:05:23 PM »

Thats good news Dancer, I reckon if youve got to be locked up, it may as well be somewhere a bit more humane. ?>

like red on a rose.
Dazzler
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 05:04:11 PM »

*(%$# *(%$# *(%$#  He can hear trains, huh?  LOL..that's all he can hear, morning, noon and night...it about drove J crazy for nine months....and there's an airport directly behind the prison....Galesburg is a hub for Burlington Northern RR and there are many sets of tracks leading to Galesburg, right next to the prison...the trains could be heard at my motel when I visited there...they never stop running....

~ Mahatma Gandhi
BoosMom

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 07:16:23 AM »

Got to love those Galesburg trains!  Dancer, I take it your guy is new to Hill?  PM me if you have any questions, my son has been there 18 months.  They do allow some hand holding at visits.  Obviously, the big kiss is not important to me and my son, but I have witnessed some fairly decent smackers!

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all.
sweet pea

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 01:02:52 PM »

Hello.  My b/f has been the hill for about 7 months he like it their . He likes the trains he said you can hear them all hours of the night . There are alot of people on Illinois prison talk that are in the hill . So if you have question about the hill i gladly help any way i can .
muah

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 02:40:40 PM »

I had my first visit to Hill this weekend.  I have to say that The guards at Hill are wonderful.
To be honest, going into a correctional facility is quite hard.  It is an enviroment that no one wants to be in.

The people that work there were very professional and nice.  I felt comfortable!

Seeing him of course was the best part of all!

Ok! so my quick question;
Does anyone send magazine subscriptions.  I want to set him up with a subscription to a few magazines?
Forevermah
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 03:30:25 PM »

Yes, I have sent my son  some subscriptions. Just be sure to get a # or something to contact them if he gets moved that you can have the subscription address changed.  Also, if you want to buy single magazines and are going to mail them, use MEDIA MAIL, just right it on the front of the manila envelope that contains any magazines, publications, etc  MEDIAL MAIL on both the left and right side of envelope and when you go to the post office just tell this it is Medial Mail that it contains books etc.  The postage for Media Mail  is so much less than regular 1st class.  They tell you that it can take up to 10 days to get there, but I have never had a problem and it gets there as quick sometimes as priority mail ...

Do not value the "things" you have in your life - value "who" you have in your life....

“Instead of thinking about what you're missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing.”
muah

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 10:27:22 AM »

Thanks Mah for my favorite tip of the week!!!!!

I send my boyfriend magazines all the time! And now I am saving lots of money using media money!! 
It is amazing how fast it adds up when your sending a undle of magazines once or sometimes twice a month!

Now if only we could get those collect call charges lowered a bit!!! hahahha

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mamacita1
Support Staff

Hope Springs Eternal

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 06:49:19 PM »

Does anyone know about the tranfer policy at Hill?  My loved one was admitted in December and was told that he had to serve a full year of his sentence before making a transfer request and had to have at least one year left in his sentence in order to be qualified for such a request.

And yet, I have seen others post that their loved one was able to place a request after 6 months and got transferred.

Are there new policies in place for Hill and other institutions about tranfer policies?

Jims

Throw Away the Key

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 09:10:19 PM »

Was your loved one transferred from one prison to another, or did he just get into IDOC in December?

If an inmate transfers from one prison to another, he has to wait 6 months before requesting another transfer. But if he's just getting into the system, then perhaps what he's being told is true.

What's done to children, they will do to society.  ~Karl Menninger
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: