Illinois Prison Talk
News: wc75-1  ILLINOIS PRISON LOCKDOWN STATUS:

MENARD ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.
VANDALIA ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING.
STATEVILLE ON LOCKDOWN. CALL BEFORE VISITING. 

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 01, 2014, 03:09:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ILLINOIS RIVER Correctional Center  (Read 26278 times)
Dazzler
Administrator

Retired News Reporter ~ Prison Reform Advocate

« on: March 06, 2006, 10:11:49 AM »

Post information here please

~ "I have visited some of the best and the worst prisons and have never seen signs of coddling, but I have seen the terrible results of the boredom and frustration of empty hours and pointless existence." ~ US Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger

~ "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
Peanuts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 10:37:30 AM »

Illinois River Correctional Center 

Walter Nicholson, Warden 

Facility Data

Illinois River Correctional Center
 Opened: October 1989
 *Operational Capacity: 2,096
 Medium Security Adult Male
 *Current Population: 2,027
 Average Age: 36
 FY2010 Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $15,885.00

*As of 5/31/2012. Reflects bed space capacity analysis as outlined in the July 1, 2012 Quarterly Report to the Legislature.

Visiting Hours

IDOC Visitation Rules and Information—please review before visiting

Visitors to any correctional facility will be required to produce photo identification and verification of date of birth. Please be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you; these would include a current photo ID such as a driver’s license, a state ID card, government ID card, military ID/driver’s license, or acceptable documentation of non-U.S. citizenship including a current Passport, or Visa, documentation must contain the visitor’s date of birth. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted. Visitors will also be required to provide vehicle information and other pertinent data, such as government identification, official credentials, attorney registration, and or law student certification.

General population
 8:30 a.m. to 5:30p.m. seven (7) days a week.  Offenders are permitted six (6) visits per month, with no more than two (2) on weekends or holidays.  All visitors must arrive by 2:30p.m.

Segregation and diagnostic program inmates
 10:00am to 2:00pm, Monday through Friday
 Visitors must arrive by 12:00pm

Facility Address

Physical Address:
 1300 W. Locust Street
 Canton, IL 61520

Business Mail:
P.O. Box 999
 Canton, IL 61520

Inmate Mail:
Inmate Name & IDOC#
 P.O. Box 999
 Canton, IL 61520

Phone: (309) 647-7030
 Fax: (309) 647-0353

Facility Information

The primary mission of Illinois River Correctional Center is to protect the public from criminal offenders through a system of incarceration, supervision, programs and services designed to return appropriate offenders to the community with skills and attitudes that will help them become useful and productive citizens.

Illinois River Correctional Center is a medium security adult male correctional facility consisting of a total of 29 buildings, which comprise more than 409,000 square feet. The living units consist of four X-type housing units, one receiving and orientation unit, one segregation unit and a 15-bed health care unit. In addition, the center has a special management unit, which provides special security for inmates housed there. The facility sits on a 100-acre site, with 40 acres enclosed by fencing. The facility also houses general population inmates.

Inmate Programs

Academic:
•ABE (Adult Basic Education)
•GED (General Education Development)

Vocational:
•Construction Technology
•Horticulture
•Automotive Technology
•Career Technology
•Culinary Arts
•Electronics Technology

Industries:
•Bakery

Other:
•Life Skills
•Substance Abuse
•Anger Management
•Leisure Time Activity
•Volunteer Services
•Chaplaincy
•Library
•Sex Offender Program
•Community Work Crews

http://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/facilities/Pages/illinoisrivercorrectionalcenter.aspx
Doll4BabyBoy

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 03:54:58 PM »

I am needing some information on Illinois River
if anyone has a loved one/husband there and
knows the answers I would appreciate it!

1. How many visits are in a month?    How long are the visits?

2. Can inmate have a blk tv & radio or do they have
clear in the facility?

3. Is the inmates locked in cell 23 hours out of 24?

4. How is the phone privileges?  Do they get the phone
in there cell as well in the yard?

5. How is the visits?  Do you have to sit across the table
from them, can you kiss when you enter and when you
leave?  Can the inmate move or do they have to stay
seated?

6. Can you take pictures in the visiting room while visiting?

7. Do they allow Marriages?  Do you have to go through
alot before they will allow you to marry?

**  I know i have alot of questions, My fiance is wanting to
check into some differant facilities and is thinking about
transferring so I would like to know how the facility is before
he puts in for it **

Thank you!!

SOME PEOPLE NEVER FIND LOVE BUT I FOUND
THE MAN OF MY DREAMS WHEN I FOUND IT
Jims

Throw Away the Key

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 04:52:28 PM »

I know a few things about it from a fellow who just transferred there from Menard, but I don't know about visits and phone calls yet.

He's not sure he likes it. It is an integrated prison, meaning inmates have to share cells with someone of another race. There are a lot of young guys there - hip-hop guys who get pretty loud and love their music. They can both have TV's and headphones are not required, which contributes to the noise level. They do have shelves, though, on which they can put the TV's, about 4 feet across from the cells.

Guys can move freely from the cells to the dayroom. They have to go to the chow hall for breakfast, but he said the food there is somewhat better than at Menard. In the unit where he is, lights come on at 3:30 a.m. for count - and it wakes him up every time. Plus, the guy on the intercom starts calling inmates who need meds at 4:30 a.m., which is also annoying. 6:00 a.m. is breakfast.

They do have classes there. He's signed up for a 9-month computer course. Work is also available. He said it's amazing how many guys with fairly short time don't want to work. They just sit around and play checkers, watch TV, and make a lot of noise. From what he's said, it seems the noise there really bothers him. He said he would never have thought Menard was quiet by comparison, but it is.

The yard is pretty, with trees and grass. The rec yard has a good running track - asphalt - and he said the weights are new and in great condition. So he does like that. The other thing he likes is that the bunks have actual mattresses and springs instead of just being a 2-inch piece of foam over a concrete slab like in Menard.

But that's all I know.

What's done to children, they will do to society.  ~Karl Menninger
Scout

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 06:26:44 PM »

I am so happy to hear that Jims...if you write him, would you tell him that G (Scout) said hello?

Together, we CAN make a difference

It's difficult to have a battle of wits with unarmed individuals.
Jims

Throw Away the Key

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 06:38:08 PM »

Yes indeed!

Schrader42

"Happiness is being married to your best friend."

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 02:31:24 PM »

My husband was at IL River before transferring to Dixon so I can help answer a few questions.  Visits are 4 hours long - 2 weekends a month and 4 regular weekday visits.  Not sure if that changed.  You must sit across the inmate and no pictures are taken while visiting.  The visiting room is a bit warm and stuffy so opening up a window is allowed if you ask the CO.  Marriages are allowed at IL River and they are married in the months of May and November.

Doll4BabyBoy

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 08:45:59 PM »

Schrader42 ~~

Is the inmates locked in there cell 23 hours out of 24?
And how is it when they use the phone, Do they have
phones on the yard and do they get it in there cell too?

SOME PEOPLE NEVER FIND LOVE BUT I FOUND
THE MAN OF MY DREAMS WHEN I FOUND IT
Jims

Throw Away the Key

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 11:34:04 PM »

Oh - the inmate I know at IRCC also told me that Warden Hulick did the same thing with the rules in their visiting room before he left for Menard, and lots of other picky rules. But the new warden is slowly putting them back to where they were pre-Hulick.

The inmates get to go in and out of their cells to a dayroom, so they must not be locked down 23 hours a day. I don't know if their cell doors are open all day or just part of the day or what. But that was true when he was first there in a temporary unit and remains true now that he's in his permanent unit.

Schrader42

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 07:17:11 AM »

Schrader42 ~~

Is the inmates locked in there cell 23 hours out of 24?
And how is it when they use the phone, Do they have
phones on the yard and do they get it in there cell too?

I do know they were confined to their cells 18 hours a day last year but that changed with the new warden.  They don't get to use phones in their cells and believe they're located in the day rooms for use.
Mindy

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 01:10:33 PM »

I have a queston about marriages...it was posted that you can get married in the months of May and September here. My boyfriend already asked for the required  info. regarding getting married at Illinois River....and they told him to write again in March. My question is...he's only been there since December. Are we likely candidates for marriage in May? Or even in Sept? I had heard that it takes years sometimes. Is that not the case here? Any information would be greatly appreciated as we were planning a March wedding when he was incarcerated and he is due out in Nov. of 2011 and that's a long time to wait!  ././/

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
Schrader42

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 02:17:51 AM »

Hi Mindy,

A friend of mine just got married at IL River last October and it didn't take long to get it finalized.  I don't think it matters if he just got there just as long as he meets the requirements.   I thought they performed marriages during the months of May and November but I could be wrong.  The only reason why my friend's marriage was performed during the last week of October was because she's from the UK.  I would tell your boyfriend to request a marriage packet and start the process as the Warden also has to approve it as well.  Good Luck.
SMD

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 05:19:31 PM »

Does anyone have info on Illinois River or a inmate there?
We have a Lady on here who needs info on it
               Thanks     SMD
dancer
Account Retired

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 07:03:37 PM »

Maybe that's a good time to start an IRCC chat thread? 
gloriab

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 08:05:17 AM »

Happy 4th to all,
Just got off the phone with Il River and thought others might like to know that visits today are considered a WEEKEND visit. Bummer as this means only one more weekend this month an it's only the beginning of the month. What does IDOC do...stay up at night to think of ways to put more hardships on us? God forbid they should actually have to earn a paycheck, right? Sorry, am my usual stressed self spending another holiday without my son. God willing, it will be the last an he'll be home this time next year. Then the fireworks will truly celebrate what is in my heart. Have a safe day everyone.
momm316

The King is Coming!

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 09:53:48 AM »

Dear Canton Family:  FYI if you're new, I run a prison ministry that is very active in Illinois, but also serves inmates and families throughout the US.  Over the years, I have adopted "sons and daughters" many of whom have no families.  It is Fishers of Men Prison Ministries (there's a website if you need more information).  Anyway, I'm thinking Illinois River is in Canton, right? 

If so, I received information last week telling me that the chapel at Illinois River has a very good library and a lot of free material for inmates.  I was told that they have three tables of books and materials for inmates free in the chapel.  You might want to pass this information on to your loved one if he is in need of reading materials.  Blessings, Momm

Because of Him, I am!
angel.waiting

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 11:37:28 AM »

I have a son in IRCC, he just got there last Fri. 6/29. Anyway, he turned 18 in Statesville 6/10/07. So he is pretty down. I would greatly appreciate the web addy for your ministry program.

Thanks
Angel

momm316

The King is Coming!

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 12:04:08 PM »

angel.waiting:  The website is www.fishersofmenprisonministries.com and there is a link at the
bottom of the IPT site that will take you to the website.  I think it is under partners way down near
the bottom of the site.

I will pm you about me adding him to the mailing list so he can get a copy of the newsletter and
if he so desires, he can write an article, poem, etc. for it.  The newsletter is writeen by inmates
for inmates.

God bless.  Momm

Because of Him, I am!
lisa ann

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 12:44:29 PM »

my husbant is at illinois river correctional center.

this is what i know so far.

they are allowed 8 visits per calander month only holiday visits are considered a weekend visit. they are only allowed 2 weeked visits per month. the visits verry from 2 hours if they are busy if they are not busy the visit is 4 hours. no pitcurec can be taken. the inmate has to remain seated at all times and you have to sit accross from them. you can hug and kiss them at the beginning of the visit and at the end and hold hands during the visit. you are not allowed to bring smokes in the visiting room. only the loker key and the vending machine card. They are also on lock down 23hr a day. the phones are ok. you can only use the phone when your out of the cell and i don't think they have phones in the yard.

thank you,

Lisa
AnglBaby

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 11:03:14 AM »

My BF just got transferred to IRCC yesterday.
He was only in Stateville for 1.5 weeks (Thank God).
I haven't received a phone call from him yet and was wondering how much longer I need to wait before I do.
I know they have to get the name and number on their approved phone list, but I was wondering how long others have experienced that takes with this place?
Also, once I hear from him it's safe to say I could wc30 visit right away, right?
Any info is appreciated . . .

Thank you!
 wc30

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: